Protecting Our Future

You are here: Home > Tips for Parents > Child Safety > Poison Safety

Poison Safety

Because children are naturally curious and tend to put everything in their mouths, they are at much greater risk for poison exposure than adults.

Children are more susceptible to the serious consequences of poisoning because they are smaller, they have faster metabolic rates, and their bodies are less capable of handling toxic chemicals.

Children 5 and under account for the majority of all poison exposures - children 2 and under are the most vulnerable.

Poison safety home check-list:

  • Know which of your household products are poisonous.
  • Keep all poisonous products out of your children's reach.
  • Keep the National Poison Control Center hotline phone number by each phone: 1-800-222-1222.
  • Keep syrup of ipecac on hand - however, only use this if the poison control center directs you to.
  • Keep all household products in their original containers.
  • Never refer to medicine or vitamins as candy.
  • Choose medicines and household products that have child-resistant caps.
  • Keep all personal products (make-up, hair spray, perfume, etc) out of the reach of children.
  • Install carbon monoxide detectors in your home.
  • Throw away all old medicines and household cleaning products.

(Resource: National Safe Kids Campaign website: www.safekids.org)

© Cuyahoga County Office of Early Childhood - Invest in Children Child Fatality Review Committee
Disclaimer

The Child Death Review Program is funded by: Cuyahoga County, and The Child and Family Health Services Block Grant provided through the Ohio Department of Health. The Child Death Review Program is administered by: The Cuyahoga County Board of Health.